Opening hours and prices
Welcome around the year!
Info: info(at)merikeskusvellamo.fi, +358 40 350 0497
Museums, museum shop and restaurant
Tue, Thu-Sun 10am-5pm
Ticket sales end half an hour before closing time.
Our summer destinations icebreaker Tarmo, lightship Kemi and patrol vessel Telkkä are closed and will be opened in the spring of 2024.
Kotka is located on the coast of the Baltic Sea in south eastern Finland, approximately 130 km or about an hour’s drive from Helsinki. By car, the easiest way to reach Maritime Centre Vellamo is via the E18 motorway. The train stop at the Port of Kotka is located just 400 metres away, and the distance to the bus station is approx. 1.5 kilometres.
There is ample free parking space outside for both cars and charter buses. Accessible parking spaces are located near the main entrance and they are marked with the international symbol of access. There is also a charging station for electric vehicles.
You can find the Google Maps link at the bottom of this page. Welcome to Vellamo!
Ruuma is an open space dedicated to small exhibitions and cultural events. At Ruuma you can also find the reference libraries and archives of the Maritime Museum of Finland and the Kymenlaakso museum as well as the offices of Kotka Cultural Services. Free entry.
Tue, Thu-Sun 10am-5pm, Wed 10am-8pm, Mon closed
Archive customers are asked to contact the personnel in advance by telephone or email. More information here.
Kotka Cultural Services
Director Tomi Purovaara, + 358 40 668 2747, tomi.purovaara(at)kotka.fi
Events Manager Tiina Salonen, + 358 40 060 8997, tiina.salonen(at)kotka.fi
Office, +358 40 635 1764, kulttuuri(at)kotka.fi
- Adults €14 (from 1 Jan 2024 €15)
- Students, pensioners, conscripts, persons undergoing non-military service and unemployed €9 (from 1 Jan 2024 onwards €10)
- Group ticket (at least 15 adults) €9 per person (from 1 Jan 2024 onwards €10)
- Under 18-year-olds and personal assistants free admission
- Admission is free for organised groups of people integrating into society. Groups are requested to announce their visit in advance by sending an email to info(at)merikeskusvellamo.fi.
- On Wed 5pm-8pm free admission for all
- Icebreaker Tarmo, lightship Kemi and patrol vessel Telkkä are open in the summer. Admission to Tarmo and Kemi 8€, under 18-year-olds for free. Group ticket (at least 15 adults) €6 per person. Admission to Telkkä is free for all in 2023.
Safe space for everyone
Maritime Centre Vellamo is for all of us. Together, we make sure that everyone feels safe.
We are considerate, kind and helpful. We respect and listen to others.
We give everyone space and peace to enjoy the exhibitions in their own way.
No one is bullied, harassed or discriminated against. For any reason.
Everyone is welcome as they are. Everyone is valuable.
We at Vellamo are here for you. We will do our best to make sure you feel seen and heard. Please let us know if you need help or notice that someone else could use a hand.
Guided tours are available in Finnish, Swedish, English, German and Russian according to availability. The price for the guided tour does not include museum admission fees. The maximum recommended group size is 20 persons.
General tour (1h) €70/guide (from 1 Jan 2024 onwards 80 €)
Icebreaker Tarmo €70/guide (from 1 Jan 2024 onwards 80 €)
Groups intending to explore the museum without a guide are still asked to inform the Vellamo customer service of their visit. In the case of a queue, priority will be given to groups that have booked a guided tour or informed us of their visit.